Help us spread the word about greyhounds as great pets!
So, you’ve adopted a GAP greyhound, fallen in love, and want to tell everyone about it?! Join GAP as a Community Engagement Volunteer! Our volunteer team are widely recognisable in their green shirts at GAP stands all over Victoria. Community Engagement Volunteers attend both industry and external events with their GAP dogs to help show what great pets they make, and tell people about GAP and the work we do.
Please note: We require volunteers to be at least 18 years old. If you are not 18, please have a parent/guardian complete the volunteer application form and attend the information session with you.
What is required?
- Community Engagement volunteers can sign up to attend event shifts in areas and times that suit them and their availability. Shifts are generally 2 hours each so greyhounds don’t get tired!
- New volunteers need to attend a face-to-face induction and training session at GAP. These sessions are 3 hours long and volunteers can sign up for the next session that suits their availability.
- Your GAP dog must be an appropriate temperament for chilling out at busy events and getting lots of pats from children and visitors. Some of the events we attend also have other dogs walking by.
- Our Community Engagement volunteers are super reliable, punctual, and are great at chatting to event visitors and answering questions about GAP.
What events do you attend?
- Volunteers may choose which events to sign up for on the volunteering portal. Throughout the year, we attend many industry events (at the thirteen Greyhound Racing Clubs throughout Victoria), agricultural shows, pet expos, volunteering expos, and community festivals.
- Volunteers may also sign up to help handle Greyhounds at our regular adoption days held around Victoria.
- Our new CityGAP café, opening later in 2017, will invite Community Engagement volunteers to attend shifts at the café with their dog, and chat with visitors about Greyhounds over coffee (what a great way to volunteer!?).