The welfare of our greyhounds needs to be at the forefront of our minds more than ever during the summer period.
A greyhound’s temperature can rise very quickly, even in relatively low heat, and if they can’t pant effectively or if it’s very humid, this can cause heat stress and even death if not properly managed.
Here are a few tips to help your greyhound beat the heat on extremely hot days:
1. Ensure your greyhound has a constant supply of cool, fresh drinking water
2. Keep them in air-conditioned comfort if you can
3. Keep air circulated with a fan
4. Provide plenty of shade
5. Cool vests
6. Shallow play pools they can easily climb in and out of
7. Pour cool water on them
8. Place ice blocks in their drinking water
9. Wipe them down with a wet towel
10. Don’t leave your dog in a hot car
11. Avoid walking your dog during the middle of the day
RELATED: HEAT STROKE AND HEAT STRESS